Thursday 20 March 2008

Obituary

My Mother died on 8th March and today it was her funeral. I think she would have enjoyed it. Tim, her eldest Grandchild talked about her life and what she meant to him, Georgina (my daughter) read a piece from this blog - the bit about her founding a scout group when she was about 18 and Simon (Adria's eldest) read the piece about her falling in the river in Patagonia in her late 70's. On the back was a picture of her on an ice field in Canada, sitting on a deck chair, cigarette hanging from her mouth and a plate of oysters in her lap. A helicopter has just deposited her there on a fishing trip.

We then went on to the Rainbow on the Lake at Steeple Langford and had a lovely time catching up with all the people who had admired her during her life.

Adria and Conrad did all the arrangements for the funeral which was brilliant. My thanks to them.

Thanks also to Linda F who posted the first comment that this blog has received.

Prue

2 comments:

James said...

Hello

I am hoping to reach the author of this blog - my name is James Langton and I work for the National Newspaper in Abu Dhabi.
I am interested in contacting the relatives of Jill and Robin Huntington. I am guessing that she is Barbara's daughter and Prue's sister.
You can check out the paper at www.thenational.ae. I can be contacted by my gmail account. Looking forward to hearing from you, and apologies if this is posted twice - I wasn't sure if it went over the first time.

James Langton

BARBARA said...

I am Jill’s sister. She married again after Robin died and became Jill Smiley. However she died several years ago. She has two sons, one living in England and one in South America. I will forward your e-mail to her eldest son.

I am the author of the blog. At least, my mother hand wrote many pages of hand written memories and I typed it all for her and eventually ‘blogged’ it. I also have a folder full of photos etc of her time with Jill and Robin in the UAE.

I’m glad that Robin and Jill are still remembered because the Trucial States and the UAE were a huge part of their lives.

Cheers Prue King

PS Can you let me have an e-mail address somehow so that we can converse privately and so that Jill's son can communicate too? I'm not sure how to contact you on your gmail account without an e-mail address.